Joining The Mothership

Posted on December 15, 2011

After 2.5 years, hundreds of days at the Disney theme parks, tens of thousands of lines of code, I’m hanging up my hat at TouringPlans.com to join the Walt Disney Company in Burbank. Specifically, I’ll be working for a new group called DIMG Innovation (DIMG == Disney Interactive Media Group) as a Senior Software Engineer. Innovation is working on some really killer web and mobile web projects that touch various divisions of the company, and I’ve been super impressed with the folks I’ve gotten to meet so far. I’m starting on January 3rd, 2012, and I’m eager to get to work.

Amongst my family and non-Disney community friends, I’ve always had an uncommon fire for The Walt Disney Company. My family has stomped through WDW since I was a kid, and I’ve dragged Kate, my wife, to Disneyland regularly since we moved to California (she now sometimes drags me). Over the past two and a half years at TouringPlans.com, I’ve been lucky to have some really amazing experiences at the Disney theme parks, both as a guest and a researcher. Through the Disney community of fans, I’ve met a ton of fantastic fellow fans and cast members who’ve made the whole experience of working in the third-party Disney ecosystem a real pleasure. After Kate and I got married this summer (woo!), we both started looking forward a bit. When this opportunity came to move south and see what the “inside” was really like — not to mention to join such a solid team — we decided to jump on it. Needless to say, I’m pumped for the chance.

Sadly, this means leaving not only an incredible group of people, but also a product I poured a ton of energy into and something I think has a huge amount of room to grow. I can’t express how grateful I am to my boss, Len, for taking a chance on me and giving me a massive degree of independence to get things done. I can’t thank Len and co-worker Fred enough for letting me join their quest towards making vacations as easy as possible, nor can I properly describe how fortunate I’ve been to work amongst the talented people we recruited to the cause. To the entire team: I’m extremely proud of all the things we built and the growth we achieved thus far, and I will tell grand tales of the adventures we’ve had. I will miss you guys heaps, and I hope to see you all out west soon.

So if you’re coming to SoCal (is that an appropriate label?), and find yourself in the Burbank-area, please give me a ring. Until then… see you in the parks.

Trackbacks

Trackbacks are closed.

Comments

Comments are closed.

1. Josh Thu, 15 Dec 2011 11:57:12 UTC

Congratulations on the new gig. Weird how sad I am though about the end of BetaMouse considering I’ve never even met any of you guys. Alas, I guess I’ll just re-listen to old episodes even after the technology discussed is ancient history.

2. Darlene Thu, 15 Dec 2011 12:02:53 UTC

Congrats & best wishes! I thank you for the tours & know this new adventure will make you both happy! Hubby & I hope to visit South Ca in the next few yrs so never know we may ring you for a tour!

3. Mush Thu, 15 Dec 2011 12:02:57 UTC

Congrats on the new job, Henry…knowing what you did with Lines and hearing your knowledge on Betamouse, I can’t wait to see what DIMG will be coming out with in the future!!

4. Martin Thu, 15 Dec 2011 12:04:08 UTC

Henry, Congrats on the new job. This seems like such a great fit for you and I know you will do great! And welcome to SoCal!

5. Matthew Thu, 15 Dec 2011 12:06:30 UTC

That’s fantastic, Henry! Congratulations and other novel congratulatory words. I say all thus with a miracle smile, while wearing a smoking jacket, puffing on a pipe.

6. Tom Bricker Thu, 15 Dec 2011 12:09:13 UTC

Does this mean I don’t have to hang out with you anymore?!?

In all seriousness, best of luck going forward. We all will miss you, but understand what an exciting opportunity this is for you, and know that you will continue to blossom in this new role. Congratulations, and best wishes as you continue your quest to improve the Disney experience!

7. Scarlett Thu, 15 Dec 2011 12:20:36 UTC

I’m so happy for you, but will miss you tremendously. Wishing you all the best at the new gig. And thank you for everything you have done for me and the opportunity you gave me at touringplans. <3

8. Sarah Thu, 15 Dec 2011 12:25:54 UTC

Congrats Henry on an amazing opportunity!!! Thank you for all of the hard work and dedication that you have put into TouringPlans.com and Lines…you have definitely made Disney trips more efficient and enjoyable.
    While I am incredibly sad that Betamouse will be ending, this new position sounds perfect for you and I wish you all the best!!

9. Lynn Barron Thu, 15 Dec 2011 12:28:47 UTC

Wow! Thats awesome Henry! Congrats on the new job! Disney is a good company to work for. Sad to see betamouse go. Hope to see you soon.

10. Paul Lalli Thu, 15 Dec 2011 12:35:29 UTC

Many congratulations and Best Wishes to you, Henry. While I’m sad to see the end of BetaMouse, I’m very happy for you.

11. Debra Peterson Thu, 15 Dec 2011 12:45:53 UTC

Aww, Henry, I’m going to miss seeing you around Touring Plans and Betamouse. But congrats on the new Disney adventure. How very exciting! DIMG is lucky to have you!

12. Jeni Thu, 15 Dec 2011 12:46:01 UTC

Congrats Henry! Hey, does that mean discounts at Trader Sam’s?! :-)

13. Traci Thu, 15 Dec 2011 13:01:11 UTC

Congrats!!! Nothing like starting the new year with a new gig at Disney. Best of luck! :)

14. Patrick Thu, 15 Dec 2011 13:06:33 UTC

Noooooooooo! You need to make Betamouse part of the DIMG!

15. Colin Buchanan Thu, 15 Dec 2011 13:16:21 UTC

Henry! I missed seeing you at Reunion and heard that perhaps this was the reason why. How many ways can I say congratulations?! I truly wish you and Kate the best on your newest chapter. Selfishly, I’m glad that you’ll be in the Burbank metroplex area so it will be easier to catch up, share a beer and a laugh. First round at the Tam to celebrate or should we give The Hearthstone that honor? Best of luck.

16. Nicole Siscaretti Thu, 15 Dec 2011 14:09:30 UTC

Henry! That’s fantastic! I am so very happy for you but I can’t say that I’m not a bit saddened by this news. Even though I’m not a super listener to Betamouse or a Touring Plans user you are a very fun, super cool guy that I’ve enjoyed getting to know and see around the magical grid. I wish you the very best and know that you will be an asset to the company we love and admire so dearly.

17. Bobaloo000 Thu, 15 Dec 2011 14:15:32 UTC

We’ve had our differences but I’ve always respected your technology skills. From a former Senior Software Engineer best of luck in your new gig. May the code flow like fine wine and the nights be short.

18. Bobaloo000 Thu, 15 Dec 2011 14:21:27 UTC

p.s. Long Live The Alliance! Viva Alliance. ;)

19. Janet Sala Thu, 15 Dec 2011 14:40:31 UTC

Congratulations, Henry! Do what you can to make the Disney on-line presence faster and better!

20. WDWSarah Thu, 15 Dec 2011 14:44:44 UTC

Another faithful Lines user/Betamouser wishing you all the best. What an exciting opportunity for you! I am super, SUPER sad that I won’t have my fave podcast anymore. Thanks for all your hard work on behalf of your fellow Disney fans/geeks. I need to go pull myself together now :)

21. Tom Thu, 15 Dec 2011 14:56:41 UTC

Don’t you just hate that whole “conflict of interest” concept ;-)

Does this mean an end to Lines development? It’s just really getting good. I want Optimize for DLR.

22. Randy Crane Thu, 15 Dec 2011 16:06:02 UTC

Congratulations, Henry! This sounds like an awesome opportunity!

I have to say, I’m more bummed than I expected to be when I read your statement that Betamouse will be ending with episode 92. I’ really enjoy the show, and it appeals to me on my many levels and in so many ways. It has been very much like listening to friends talk about things that I used to think I was one of the few that cared about. (So it may still be a few that care about it–but it’s more than I thought. :) )

I live in Orange County, so I’m always in the Burbank-area more or less–more in the Disneyland area, though–so I’d be very happy to give you ring…or chat on Skype…or hang out at Disneyland.

Thank you for all you’ve done for TouringPlans.com and Lines. I can’t wait to see what amazing contributions you make to Disney from inside now!

23. KathleenMG Thu, 15 Dec 2011 16:09:20 UTC

Disney is lucky to get you! Betamouse will be missed, but hopefully you’ll still be able to drop in as a guest on WDW Today from time to time.

Best of luck to you in your new venture!

24. Matt Hochberg Thu, 15 Dec 2011 16:20:49 UTC

Sad to see you go Henry but congrats on the new gig. I know you’re excited about the opportunity and I wish you nothing but the best of luck with this new venture. Your work on touringplans, beta mouse and overall support of the Disney Internet community have been examplory and I salute you sir.

25. Stephen Collester Thu, 15 Dec 2011 16:52:34 UTC

Henry – This news is so great! At first I was bummed that Betamouse was ending; but now you get to Be part of the real BetaMouse. Sweet!!
    I work in Burbank so maybe I’ll see you around.

26. Jason Kincaid Thu, 15 Dec 2011 18:02:24 UTC

Congratulations Henry!!! This sounds awesome.

I can only hope this means Disneyland will soon feature an army of miniature robotic Mickey Mouses running around a field playing soccer. :)

27. Dominic Abram Thu, 15 Dec 2011 20:01:51 UTC

Congratulations Henry, what a fantastic opportunity for you! Thank you for all of your work for TouringPlans.com and Betamouse, I really enjoyed the podcasts a lot. Does this mean no more guest spots on WDW Today either?

28. A Jenkins Thu, 15 Dec 2011 20:08:21 UTC

Hey I just started listening to this podcast, lol! Good luck in your new role, you will be missed, you’re the “bomb-dot-com”!

29. Alan Thu, 15 Dec 2011 20:26:19 UTC

I visit Burbank several times a year on business. We will have to have dinner together. Congrats and I’m jealous.

30. Kyle Thu, 15 Dec 2011 20:53:13 UTC

Good luck and congratulations. May you feel blessed to know that so many people you have never met appreciate your work and humor. We still will…we just won’t know what to give you credit for anymore!

31. Fred Thu, 15 Dec 2011 22:20:46 UTC

Ah, the joy and sadness all at once. Henry, your work continues to blow me away. I can’t believe how for you’ve taken us at TouringPlans but most of all I’ll miss that crazy youthful spirit that you brought every day. Have a great time working for the big cheese (pun intended) but always remember to think 4th dimensionally and stay classy!

32. Craig Fri, 16 Dec 2011 03:51:08 UTC

Congratulations Henry!! Your first step towards your own window on Main Street.

33. Carl shutt Fri, 16 Dec 2011 04:24:02 UTC

Congratulaions Henry I wish you
    All the best hope you will still find
    Time to visit best wishes to you

34. Dustin Verdin Fri, 16 Dec 2011 05:26:42 UTC

Henry, Congratulations and best of luck — the Mouse got a great one! I will greatly miss Betamouse and the chance to pow-wow with you on TouringPlans stuff, but there’s nothing better than seeing people chase their dreams and catch them. Look forward to staying in touch, and seeing the great things you and the team produce. Bravo!

35. Marc and Denise Fri, 16 Dec 2011 08:34:00 UTC

Henry congrats! We wish you the very best and will miss the beta mouse podcast. Take care and good luck in So Cal. You Rock!!

36. Fred Block Fri, 16 Dec 2011 08:42:37 UTC

Best of luck to you Henry. You’re living the dream man…..

37. Jeff Williams Fri, 16 Dec 2011 09:40:59 UTC

Good luck Henry…you are pulling off what we all dream of doing. Now that we have an insider…can’t wait until we get some coded messages. I suggest you post in Navajo on Twitter so Disney doesn’t suspect anything. And have fun translating Team Possible into an Avatar based iOS app ;)

Jeff aka @braindud92

38. Tasha 2.0 Fri, 16 Dec 2011 09:57:57 UTC

Congratulations! I really envy you working for Disney. Thanks for helping me and so many others with planning our perfect vacations to Disney. We will certainly miss you and your podcasts.

Good luck in your new endeavors!

39. Michelle ScribMac Fri, 16 Dec 2011 12:32:10 UTC

Henry! I’m so thrilled for you! What an exciting opportunity!! I am going to miss seeing you, but I know that you’re going to be doing amazing things.

All the best and please stay in touch!

40. Jean in Annapolis Sat, 17 Dec 2011 12:46:59 UTC

Congratulations on your new job! Disney is lucky to get you. I’m not surprised at all that they snapped you up. We Baltimoreans (Cockeysville really for me) are extraordinary though, aren’t we? I’ll miss Betamouse and your appearances on WDW Today. I have thoroughly enjoyed your wit, and I admire your brain power.
    Now you will have a chance to help implement all of those great ideas that I’ve heard you talk about. Good luck!

41. Pee Dee Foodie Sun, 18 Dec 2011 15:53:34 UTC

Congratulations, Henry. All the best working for the Big Mouse. Can’t wait to see what you cook up to add to the geeky fun we all have at the parks. God bless.

42. Bob Lee Mon, 19 Dec 2011 08:40:01 UTC

Congratulations, Henry! That’s awesome. It’s an amazing feeling when you get to work for a company that you have followed and enjoyed for years. I’ll bet that email address with @disney.com will be the coolest! All the best! Tell the big guy, Mickey, hello from Kansas!

43. Jason Wed, 21 Dec 2011 08:15:52 UTC

Congrats on the new gig. I can’t wait to hear what it’s like on the other side. Maybe after things calm down we can hear a BetaMouse reunion cast?

44. renee Sat, 24 Dec 2011 12:00:29 UTC

so sad that you are leaving touringplans.com and ending betamouse, but what a great opportunity lies ahead for you. I had a family member who worked for the Disney Company (helped to built Animal Kingdom) and he loved it.

Good Luck and I truly hope you prosper there.

45. DDBOWDOIN Tue, 28 Feb 2012 11:32:35 UTC

From one polar bear to another… congratulations brother! Well done man, well done. Living the dream… maybe someday I’ll follow the same path!